CAIN Project

CAI-002 Field Report(Third Session Notes)

Case# CAI-002 Field Report:

Location: Chester, Pennsylvania

Main Contact: Sheriff John Reid

This case involves the sudden death of four teenagers in a car that slid off the road during perfect weather conditions. All four occupants of the vehicle were determined to have been dead minutes before the vehicle left the road. No poison was found in the blood streams of the dead occupants. The coroners report stated that all four people died of Spontaneous Cardiac Arrest. The four individuals aged from 16 to 22 and were in good health prior to the accident.

The local Sheriff, John Reid, contacted FBI Director Henry Carlisle, who in turn contacted Director Bridge. Bridge’s team was sent out within 24 hours of the crash.

The Vehicle, a 1994 Honda Accord, was moved from the scene of the accident to the police impound, where it stayed until the FBI team arrived. An inventory of the vehicles contents was taken upon the arrival of the vehicle at the impound lot. Among the contents of the vehicle were: $600.00 in cash inside a paperback fantasy novel, 3 cell phones, a black back pack (containing drug paraphernalia, 2 paperback fantasy novels, a CD case, and two notebooks: 1 chemistry notebook and the other with dark poetry and drawings), 3 USB memory sticks and an aftermarket radio with USB port. The scene of the accident was kept contained until the FBI team arrived.

The car had been travelling East on Interstate 95/Delaware Express Way when it crashed into, and over, the guardrail before Exit 6.

One of the four teenagers, William Roberts, 22, was thrown from the vehicle and into a grouping of trees. He suffered a slashed throat, broken collarbone and broken neck. The other three occupants, Kyliegh Welsh, 18, Irene Dowd, 16, and Douglas Dowd, 18, were still in the vehicle, but were also deceased. All four were from the same Richmond, Virginia area. Local police determined that Roberts was thrown from the vehicle due to his lack of wearing a seat belt, though his ejection was not the cause of his death.


Once on the ground in Chester, the team contacted Sheriff Reid, and were escorted to two locations.

Dr. Swann went to the morgue to see the bodies, while Agents Conroy and Tarkus went to the scene of the accident, meeting the Investigating officer, Deputy Jim Bradford and Sheriff Reid on site.

The Morgue:

The local coroner, Nina Hartly, did full autopsy on William Roberts. She found that he had suffered massive trauma from his ejection from the vehicle. She found that his blood contained traces of THC (Marijuana), tough not enough to cause Cardiac Arrest. She did not find any other substances in his system, ruling out another chemical cause. The levels of THC in his system were not high, meaning that he had smoked approximately 6 to 7 hours prior to his death. She was unable to determine and actual cause of death, it appeared that all of his bodies systems had suddenly slowed to the point of death, and therefore declared a cardiac arrest.

There were no autopsies done on the other three bodies. Dr. Hartly presumed the same situations, upon finding dried blood in the ear canals of all the bodies, and declared that the others had died the same way. Dr. Swann preformed autopsies on the other bodies, and re-examined the body of William Roberts. All four had died the same way: their internal functions had slowed to the point of death. All four had bled from burst blood vessels in the ears some time previous to, or during death. None of them had died from any physical trauma, and all the symptoms pointed toward very high doses of depressants (downers), though none were present.

One hypothesis that came up was that somehow, the deaths were caused by some kind of loud noise, or sonic/hypersonic attack. The burst blood vessels in the ears were the main contributor to this theory, though something such as that is not known to exist.

The Scene of the Accident:

Interstate 95, also known as the Delaware Express way, runs through a suburban area just prior to Exit 6. The car left the road, heading uphill. The scene shows that the car slowed considerably, before crashing into the guardrail, and flipping over the side. The body of William Roberts was thrown through the windshield when the car made contact with the guardrail. William was in the front passenger seat, while Douglas Dowd was driving the vehicle. The other two, Kyleigh Welsh, and Irene Dowd, were riding in the back seat. All of the passengers, with the exception of Roberts, were wearing their seatbelts, and remained in the vehicle after the crash.

After an initial look at the scene, Agent Conroy began canvassing nearby houses, while Agent Tarkus went to the impound to view the car.

Canvassing the Houses:

The owner of the first house that Conroy approached said that they were not home at the time of the crash, which was around 10:30 am. The individual was out running his morning run, in a nearby neighbourhood. He was unaware of the crash, until he returned home.

The owner of the second house, Edward Gibb, says his dog, a Boarder Collie named “Spritzer”, was acting rather strange in the moments leading up to the accident, barking and howling in the direction of the Interstate. After hearing the accident, his son, Jeremy Gibb, 17, went to the scene to see what had happened. Jeremy came across the accident and called the proper authorities.

When Jeremy first met Agent Conroy, he started the conversation with, “I didn’t take anything from the crash.” Agent Conroy, and the boy’s father detected otherwise. After some coercing, from his father, Jeremy went to his room and returned with another cell phone, which he took from 50 feet away from the scene. The phone turned out to belong to William Roberts. After talking to Dr. Swann, Conroy inspected the dog’s ears and found that they also had dried blood in them.

Upon inspecting the phone, Agent Conroy discovered that 40 Long Distance calls had been made from the phone within the last 10 hours, meaning the Jeremy had used the phone. Conroy also found a text message that had been sent to the phone one hour after the accident had occurred. The message referred to “cookies getting cold” and “multiple buyers”.

After confiscating the fourth phone, Conroy began contacting the parents of the dead teens. He found that the four were heading to a Staind concert in New Jersey, which was set to happen the following day.

The Car:

Agent Tarkus arrived at the Police impound and began going over the car, and it’s contents. He found a fourth USB memory stick wedged between the broken windshield and the crumpled dash. Upon removing the stick, he found that the USB connection was actually broken, and still lodged in the stereo system. Tarkus started the car, and immediately found that the stereo was set to 35, very loud. It was playing what seemed like white noise, which gave Tarkus a rather bad headache, but then finished playing a song from the stereo’s memory.

After removing the stereo, Tarkus went over the contents of the car. Within one of the notebooks, he found a message on the back page.

“xBurnout666×17 Judsen PL, Camden New Jersey.”

A Google map, heading from Richmond VA, to Camden NJ, was also present, folded and placed in the back of the notebook.

After running the address in the Federal database, Tarkus found that it was a New Jersey address for a man by the name of Walter Hobson. Hobson, 44, had no criminal record, aside from a few parking tickets, and collected $300.00, bi-weekly, from disability pay.

Tarkus took the memory stick to the local police’ IT specialist, who was able to make the device functional. The stick contained multiple music files, from various bands, including Staind. One of the bands on the device was a rather new, upstart, band named Red Siren. There were three Red Siren songs, one of which was playing at the time of the crash. The song, “Red Death” was playing, which proceeded to, again, give Tarkus a rather bad headache. The other two songs, “G to F to” and “Fester” also had effects on Tarkus. “G to F to” appeared to raise Tarkus’ arousal, while “Fester” caused him to feel depressed and tired.

The team found that Red Siren was touring with Staind, and were opening at the concert in New Jersey. Agent Conroy text messaged the number from Roberts’ phone, which was linked to Walter Hobson, asking if the “cookies” were still available, posing as a friend of Roberts, who was under the online handle “HumanTorch73”. The other person replied, saying that they were available, at $600.00. The agents made arrangements, and traveled to New Jersey, where they contacted the local authorities, and exercised an arrest warrant for Walter Hobson, under suspicion of drug trafficking.

New Jersey:

The agents arrived at the local police station, to find Walter Hobson in an interrogation room, waiting, and his son, Terrance Hobson, 14, waiting outside. Hobson owns a rather expensive car, Chrysler 300C, has a $3000.00 a month home, and also has an internet based trading business registered to his name. Hobson also uses a wheel chair.

The business, Hobson Imports, trades in online services, and sells almost anything available. Hobson himself does not have much to do with the business, as his son runs it. At that time, Terrance was taken in for questioning. Terrance denied knowing anything of the four teenagers. After receiving multiple text messages, from Agent Conroy during his questioning, Terrance admitted that he was selling concert tickets to William Roberts. Roberts had agreed to pay $600.00 for the tickets, referred to as “cookies”, which were for the Staind/Red Siren concert the next night.

When asked about the music on the memory stick, namely the Red Siren songs, Terrance said that he wasn’t very interested in the band, though one of the songs made him rather depressed, and tired when he had listened to it. Agent Tarkus sent the sound files to the FBI sound lab in DC, and told them to analyze them for any extra or unknown content.

The team decided to speak to the band, Red Siren, and found that they were performing sound checks at a nearby club called The Conduit. Upon arriving at The Conduit, the agents found the receptionist listening to Red Siren, through a headphone. While she was listening to the band, she was unresponsive, and appeared to not even notice that the agents were there. Once she removed the headphone, she seemed to come out of her “trance”. The agents entered the club, and found the club’s owner affected the same way. The agents used earplugs to filter out the sound of the band, and introduced themselves as representatives from Roadrunner Records, a recording label company, that were interested in the band.

The band’s manager, Dirk Jamison, was the first to talk to the agents, and appeared to be affected by the mysterious signals. He, Agent Conroy and Agent Tarkus went into an office to talk, while Dr. Swann talked to the band, and checked their equipment over.

The band consisted of four members: Siren, the singer, Brent the keyboardist, Doc the guitar player and O. Henry, the drummer and mixer. The agents found out that Jamison had been a fan of the band before he was their manager. They noted that Jamison began to become less and less affected as the conversation continued.

When Tarkus actually talks to the band, under the guise of a rep from the record label, the members evaded any questions about the exotic sound that comes from their music. Everyone said that it was something that O. Henry must put in during post-production.

During the conversation with the band, the FBI sound lab contacted Agent Tarkus. They found an extra track, laid over the song itself, which had caused one of the technicians to be sent home. After dissecting the other songs, it was found that the extra tracks had profound effects on test subjects. The file from “G to F to” caused the lab mice to begin to attempt to reproduce, while the file from “Fester” caused them to become solitary, and lackadaisical. The sound file from “Red Death” immediately caused the deaths of the lab mice, bursting the blood vessels in their ears, and causing their internal systems to slow to the point of death.

Upon receiving this information, the agents set up a meeting with the band, for the next day, an hour before the scheduled concert. They were going to meet in the bar of the hotel that the band was staying at. At the meeting, the band was detained for questioning by local authorities.

Dirk Jamison was the first person questioned. He was extremely nervous during his questioning, and was worried that the band would not make their stage time. When asked about the song “Red Death” he stated that he had scrapped it from the previous play lists after the effect that it had had on him. He stated that he was romantically attracted to Siren (Lillian Cobb, 22 from Pineview Florida), from day one, though he was under the assumption that her and O. Henry were in a relationship. When asked if he had noticed anything odd about the band, he mentioned that they had originally practiced at O. Henry’s home, until he suddenly said they couldn’t, and they were forced to rent a studio.

O. Henry was the next person questioned. Henry Ronald Borczak, 27 years old, from Pineview Florida, was extremely calm during the questioning. When he offered little assistance during his questioning, he was told that the rest of the band would be allowed to perform without him. He simply stated that they would not be as good without him. When told that the band may not make an appearance at the show, he became agitated. Upon agreeing to help, if the band would be allowed to perform at the show, he described his post-production methods. After each track had been recorded, and mixed, Henry would overlay a second track on top of it. The extra track was only heard as white noise, but had subliminal effects on the crowd, causing the profound audience effects that were noted at the bands various performances. He said that the extra songs were recordings of the sounds and songs emitted by a “mermaid” that he had accidentally captured during a fishing trip two years prior, in the Everglades. At the time, he said that she was hurt, and needed help. He helped her, and ended up keeping her in a swimming pool in his garage, hence the bands sudden change of practice venue. He ended up recording her voice, and used it in a live performance, to further enhance the song. He then began to put into every song he worked on, which was all of them. Over time, he became immune to the effects of the sounds. He stated that “Red Death” was a mistake, and that he had destroyed the files containing it. He did mention that Brent (Brent Tedesko, 19 from Denton Florida) had assisted him, at the time, in mixing the songs. He thought that it could be possible that Brent had taken the files. He told the agents that the “mermaid” was still in Florida, living in his house, and that Siren was the only other member of the band that knew of it’s existence. He agreed to take the agents to his house, and release the “mermaid”, who he called Hannah, to them if the band was allowed to perform.

Brent was questioned last, and corroborated the theory that he had taken the song from Henry’s computer. He said that he only did it so that he could release it online and get the band more attention. He agreed to help the FBI cyber division track down, and retain all the copies of the song that may exist.

The agents agreed to let the band perform under three stipulations: 1) they preformed under police supervision, 2) they preformed without the help of the extra sound files, and 3) After the show, Henry would accompany the agents to his house in Florida, and turn over the “mermaid” to them. The band agreed, and preformed. The performance was extremely well met by the fans that attended.


The agents, accompanied by Mr. Borczak, went to Florida to retain the “mermaid”. It was a non-event. The creature showed hesitation, until Henry told her that it was alright, and that she had to go with the agents. She was taken to a secure facility for surveillance and supervision.


Dr. Swann, and the other agents questioned Director Bridge as to the intensions of the FBI with the “mermaid”. It was stated that she would not be harmed in any way. Not tested, experimented on or harmed. Bridge was told that if she found out about any harm coming to the creature, or any other innocent creatures that may be brought to the facility, she would resign immediately.

Agent Tarkus, and the lab technician who were both exposed to the extra sound files, were found not to have any lasting after effects of their exposure.



I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.